Wednesday 11 February 2015

Dry January




So, you know when you joke that drinking is a hobby and then you do that laugh as if to say 'BUT I'M NOT AN ALCOHOLIC!..hahaha' but then you kind think, oh fuck, I do class Gin as a friend. I do love going out for a drink, preferably a £7.99 bottle of Prosecco after a hard week at work, ensuring you wake up the next day unsure of what kind of sandwich you made the other night. I wanted 2015 to be a year of change but what better way was there then to call it quits on the united front of gin lovers.

Cancer Research UK had been harping on about Dry January for a while and the thought of doing it made me wonder how I would possibly cope, so I decided not to do it. However after a bit of a guilt talk and the weekly £7.99 saving, I figured it would be best to try it.

I signed myself up on the 1st Jan, probably still drunk from the NYE party I went to before (where I drunkenly cooked 12 nuggets and they still tasted fab; they were consumed with flutes of Aldi prosecco and the best of Donna Summer in the background) and I'd say my biggest supporter was my mother, who told me of all the great benefits I would reap from this.
They are:

  1. Your skin will look great!
  2. Imagine all the money you will save!
  3. You have no friends anyway, so you can't go to the pub!
The last one, I admit, was pretty spot on from Susan. I'm an Introvert and a half, so the latter really did apply.

Over the last 31 days sure I have saved money and mum was right, my skin was doing pretty good but I have to admit, after a long week of sitting at your desk dreaming of 5.30pm, a Bombay Sapphire wouldn't go amiss. Part of the fundraising included a pack that Cancer Research UK sent me. It contained a wristband, beer mats (ironic really), fundraising sheet and some plastic cards in which you could hand out if anyone was willing to fund your non drinking.

However, this was all for a good cause, and I raised a great amount of money which I fully admit I'm glad I didn't spend shaking off the hangover blues the next day. I'm happy to say I tried something new year this, not entirely sure that I'll be rushing back next year, but it's for a good cause!

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by The Blog Store