Wednesday 18 March 2015

Bucket List: Skydiving



I've never been afraid of heights, never really had that going to be sick, can't feel my legs and fear that the floor will come crashing through premonition. I've always quite enjoyed being way up high and possibly putting myself in the fear of the unknown. So when me and dad holidayed in Hawaii, the idea of skydiving was a must,

Skydiving is one of those things you always really want too do but never truly know how you'll feel till you're up in the air. I didn't really consider what we were doing until we got to the skydiving center and were being informed of potential death. Lets back track.

Located in Oahu, Skydive Hawaii is found as what is described as 'The Worlds Most Beautiful Drop Zone'. You can fall from either 20,000 or 14,000 or 12,000 ft with 'altitude guaranteed'. They ensure guaranteed enjoyment in safe hands as you drop, being able to see views of Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Kaena Point & the North Shore Coastline. Priced within the jump ranges, it varies between $150-175, but increases to a steep $998 if you want to go as high as 20,000 ft.



Me and my dad opted to go for 14,000 ft because you know we were only sacrificing our lives and jumping out of a plane, with a person on our backs of course. Before you jump, you're talked through all the musts and do not's, the true stomach churning part is when they talk about potential death, how to avoid it and what happens if you do die - ENCOURAGING.

Once 'reassured', you're strapped into harnesses, with belts fastened and buckles tightened in places I didn't know existed. You are then assigned a professional to jump with who talks you through how to land and stay relaxed, and most importantly, really enjoy it because it really is over in minutes. I rocked out my best kit for the day, a star wars shirt and red converse - which is the basis of any fashionista.

You don't truly know what nerves feel like until you are hunched back in a small plane as you go up and up with someone strapped on your back. You're given goggles to protect your eyes and advised 'to chill' - I mean can you really chill at 14,000ft? Before you know it you're plane door is opening and you're suddenly on the edge, in a matter of seconds about to drop. At this point there's no real turning back, unless you're red in the face and sweating tears from every pore and confident that you really can't jump. Within moments of sitting on the edge, before even thinking about what's about to happen, you drop.








Let me tell you, it is the best feeling. Not as nice as eating battenburg cake or just getting paid, but it's up there. You feel light as air when you drop, and it's only after you've prized you're eyes open that you see you're floating in the air. It did help that when we jumped we were in gorgeous Hawaii, but it's not at all what you expect. Everything is quiet and peaceful and before you know it you're edging near the ground to descend. Within moments all those nerves and fear of death are gone and you're on the ground, not quite believing what you've just done.


The guys at Skydive Hawaii are great, and really love what they do. They jump at all times of the day and never seem to get bored of it - why would you? I'd say the best part is later, when you're adrenaline is decreasing and it's only really just kicked in what you've done. Part of our package was that you got pictures/dvd/tshirt & a personal certificate - the real deal, because when you jump out of a plane, you sort of need to clarify you're pretty much up there with mission impossible.

This was one of many things crossed off my bucket list, I'd like to give it a go in Las Vegas to see different kinds of scenery, but one thing is for sure. The views coming down from the plane are amazing, I saw dolphins and a taco bell - now that's amazing.


1 comment

  1. WOW! I'm not sure if I could ever get the nerve to do that. I've been conquering my fear of heights but that might be a bit too high for me. You're brave!
    Letting you know that I've nominated you for a Liebster Award over on my blog here. Sharing the Blogger love. xox

    -Cory U | Cory U

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by The Blog Store