Thursday 22 January 2015

What I read in December & January


I loved reading as a kid and when I got older I started becoming more interested in heat magazine, something I wasted a lot, A LOT, of money on. So when I got round to getting a kindle, I decided it was time to stop making excuses and get reading again. These were just some of my picks for December and January...

Diary Of A Mad Diva - Joan Rivers.
The day I found out the reigning Ms Rivers died, I was sat, three sheets to the wind, in a pub booth. I can't actually sit in that booth again, but in time. I've read a few of Rivers book's before but this one is to die for - no pun intended. I loved reading this, Rivers dedicated the book to Kanye West, because he  'doesn't fucking read, so he'll never read this' and that's just the first page.

The Devil in the Kitchen - Marco Pierre White
So...even i'm not overly sure as to why I read this book, but I figured it would contain words such as butter and cake, so I was pretty sold by that. Surprisingly I really enjoyed this little page turner. Sure, White's a bit pissed when someone burns a brioche but the guys been through some kitchens, it's worth a read.- and the word butter gets mentioned... a lot.

A Natural Woman - Carole King 
I adore Carole King. The woman is literally in my top lists of belting Jewish broads. King is a godsend, she's been writing songs since she was 12 years old, and then went on to write some pretty amazing, classic songs. This book is a treat for music fans, especially ones who want to know who wrote that song. She's also been through some pretty tough times, some not easy but she's Carole King, she's a gift, a true natural woman.

The Andy Cohen Diaries - Andy Cohen
So my one guilty pleasure in life, asides from putting salted caramel on everything, is the Bravo franchise. I have to hand it to Mr Cohen, he has made my life housewife induced. I'm a bit jealous of Cohen, because this guy knows everyone - and I mean everyone. This is a diary of some sort and this guy is popular, because he's dining with Carrie Bradshaw one night and meeting Oprah the next. I may or may have not read this in a day.

The Wrong Knickers - Bryony Gordon
Do you ever read a book and think 'Bloody hell, did someone just write a book like my life?' All hail Bryony Gordon because this lady gets it. I've never read along with something so thoroughly and muttering 'preach' every few minutes. This book is worth reading, even for the first chapter alone. Cue a drunken one night stand which involves a Lurpack butter incident!

The Opposite of Loneliness - Marina Keegan
I've left this book till last because...fuck, it's inspiring. I can say this book is easily one of the reasons I've decided to go to university at 21. Keegan writes 'What we have to remember is that we can still do anything. We can change our minds. We can start over'. Sadly, and this is the bit that gets me, Keegan was killed in a car accident days after she graduated, something I didn't want to believe when I read this book. Once I got to the end, I felt a bit drained but we're left with this amazing book, this collection of essays in which Marina speaks of having parties at 30 and crying because things happen so quickly. She is treasured, indefinitely. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by The Blog Store